Sep 1, 2011

Sign Language: I Love You

As I'm minding my own business today, driving to work, just checking some facebook...I hear some honking which obviously gains my attention (distracting me from the road and more importantly my newsfeed...just kidding) and I see some motion through the windshield of a car in the opposite lane behind me. I thought, what is going on? Now as far as I know (I mean I was on my phone), I didn't cut this person off or break any major traffic laws so that leads me to believe they were irritated I was on my phone. Last time I checked, texting was illegal not facebooking! How do I know this person is irritated you ask, well they proceed to flip me the bird over and over again and ensure that I'm aware of it because they are shoving their hand so hard through their horn I'm surprised they didn't deploy the airbag. This got me thinking about other times I've received the 1 finger salute...or times I've witnessed others receiving it. Have you gotten it? Relating this topic to one of my favorite movies, I remember "Just Married" with Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy when they are driving the little yellow european car that he references as a tonka truck. BTW, my favorite quote in that movie is...wait for it...Sarah says, "Baby just floor it!" and Tom says, "I am flooring it! If I pushed any harder, my foot would blow through the floor and we would be Flintstone-ing our bottoms* there!" (censored*) That cracks me up. Any who...back on track. This old lady flips them off in that movie and she kind of reminds me of how that person looked today, grumpy and miserable. I have no idea if it was man or woman because I was more focused on the determination and effort they were putting forth for me to see them. We could all use some determination like that in our lives for sure; maybe channeled in a more positive manner. Even though this person didn't get an emotional reaction from me, I hope it made them feel better. I'd hate for their day to be ruined by me. Now if they'd just take that finger, fold it down, raise their index, pinkie, and thumb...


Until next time...


Disclaimer...I totally know I was in the wrong by being on facebook while driving and that doesn't condone my behavior or make it anymore superior than my friend I made today.

1 comment: